Monday, February 19, 2007

The War on Terror

After the abominable events of September 11, George Bush declared a war on terror. This is of course a nonsense statement, both linguistically and pragmatically. What has transpired has been a war on two regimes in the middle east, with no end in sight.

However, if there is to be a genuine war on terror, I'd say our entertainment industry should be included. I saw some adds for Hannibal Rising on TV and the internet, and I must admit I found them rather disturbing. Grown men screaming in sheer terror, about to die and be eaten. Why is this entertaining? Why is it art? What does it add to society? We live in an age where the only real evils are terrorists and censorship. If there is to be a war on terror I somehow don't think that psycho cannibal movies should be excluded.

But then, people would say - don't watch it! I wouldn't if they didn't show the bloody adverts!!!

Now, back to Lamentations

No comments: