Thursday, March 08, 2007

Why I still can't stand him

Anthony Mundine to all appearances is a brilliant athlete. After his 9th round knockout and it would seem total domination of the unorthodox Sam Soliman last night, he said:

"I told youse I'm the best, man. I knocked his arse out, man, but, aye, I'm allowed to be cocky . . . I'm a two-time world champion and you all can't say shit."

Now I don't know the role humility plays in Islam, but in Christianity, to have the mind of Christ is to be humble (Philippians chapter 2). I also watch a reasonable amount of boxing, mixed martial arts, etc, and see that one can be a champion without being an arrogant showboat. When is anyone allowed to be cocky?

UPDATE: The above might be a little unclear. Anthony Mundine is an indigenous Australian boxer and a Muslim. My question about humility and Islam was a statement of ignorance about the Koran. A quick google found the following:

- "The true servants of the Gracious God are those who walk on the earth humbly and when the ignorant address them, they avoid them gracefully by saying, `Peace !' " (25:64)

This doesn't quite describe Anthony in and around the boxing ring!

No comments: