Monday, March 02, 2015

What's your on button?

We all know what it is like to grind through our days, working on automatic pilot. Perhaps we are bored, frustrated or unengaged. Unmotivated to improve, adapt or explore. Sometimes we fear failure and our inner monologue is our own worst enemy. We need an on switch.

As I approach the prospect of a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a number of these thoughts cross my mind. To be in the moment is the need to be switched on, attentive and deliberate. It is to have goals of trying new techniques, of mastering favorites, of rolling without mistake or losing points. Whatever the goal, one has to believe, to be committed, to not give in to the inner demons.

And so it requires an on switch. Following the hand shake and fist bump, I now slap the mats once with my hands. This is my on switch, this means go for me. It doesn't mean a fight to the death, or the unswerving belief that I can never be defeated. It means that tapping is not losing, tapping is learning. It means that I will not let my partner or myself down with second best. It means being on.

Whatever you do in whatever field you do it in, be there. Be switched on. Have an on button that says this is now, this is my time, now I am here and I believe that I should be here.

What is your on button?

No comments: