Monday, October 22, 2012

Joining the MOOC wagon

A lot has been said recently about MOOCs. Some see them as the next greatest thing in education, the Messiah of bricks and mortar instutions. To others they are more of the naughty boy, ads instead of real content. To others still, while it is clear MOOCs more or less recreate on a larger scale the problems of traditional learning, they make it available to a wider audience.

Confession time; I found the Coursera website and was like a kid in a candy shop (lolly store to be more Australian). I've signed up to a slew of courses and am looking forward to doing things that really interest me and cost me nothing! Will I learn from it? No doubt because a) I'm motivated and b) I'll put in the extra time when I can, either at the time or afterwards. Hoping not bitten off more than I can chew, but looking forward to it both from the perspective of a learning and thinking about it as an educator.

No comments: